Creamy Corn Soup (Loaded with Corn & Potatoes!)
Sweet and creamy, corn soup is one of the ultimate comfort foods! Use frozen corn to make this all year long!
Three steps and one stockpot is all it takes to make this easy recipe when you’re short on time but want a filling, heartwarming meal.
Cozy Corn Soup
Affordable, easy, with a savory-sweet flavor that even the pickiest of eaters will approve of, corn soup is a great meatless dinner offering. It also tastes great with shredded chicken, or ground sausage (or bacon or ham) for those with heartier appetites.
This is a creamy cozy soup recipe and full of flavor. It’s not quite as thick as a corn chowder but it’s just as satisfying!
Ingredients and Variations
Corn It always tastes great whether it’s frozen, fresh, or canned. Let frozen corn thaw before using and drain and rinse canned corn.
Potato For a thicker hearty soup, we add potato to the soup. Feel free to sub out sweet potatoes.
Dairy A super creamy version can be made with heavy whipping cream, but light cream will still produce a delicious rich-tasting result.
PRO TIP: Just like canned beans, the best way to used canned vegetables is to drain and rinse them before using them to eliminate extra sodium used in the preservation process. If you are simply cooking canned veggies, use clean water to boil them in.
How to Make Corn Soup (overview)
Corn soup is so easy to make and it’s ready in no time!
- Sauté onion, celery, and garlic in butter in a saucepan per recipe below.
- Add flour, herbs, corn and potatoes.
- Stir in the remainder of the ingredients. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with chives.
Serving Tip: A dollop of sour cream and some bacon bits make for a great garnish as well!
Want a Thicker Soup?
- Blend a portion of the corn and potatoes and return them to the pot for thicker soup.
- The soup can also be thickened with a slurry. Combine equal parts cornstarch and water and stir into the simmering soup until thickened.
- Alternately, stir in a few potato flakes until thickened.
- Corn soup is a great way to use up leftover veggies and even meats like sausage!
- This can be made ahead of time and reheated for lunches or quick dinners on the go.
- Keep leftovers in a covered container in the fridge for about 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or stovetop and serve again.
- Soups with dairy don’t tend to freeze well.
More Savory Soups
Did you love this Easy Corn Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Easy Corn Soup
Sweet, savory, and loaded with flavor, this creamy soup will be a family favorite all year long!
Combine onion, celery, butter, and garlic in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until onion softens, about 4 minutes.
Add flour and thyme. Cook 1 minute more. Stir in corn and potatoes.
Add broth, cream, salt, and pepper. Simmer 15-20 minutes uncovered or until potatoes are tender.
Garnish with chives and serve warm.
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Calories: 229, Carbohydrates: 20g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 48mg, Sodium: 1165mg, Potassium: 355mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 606IU, Vitamin C: 16mg, Calcium: 48mg, Iron: 1mg
Keyword best Corn Soup recipe, Corn Soup, Corn Soup Recipe, how to make Corn Soup