Creamy Pumpkin Pasta (So Creamy!)
Pasta tossed in a velvety pumpkin sauce is truly a delicious meatless meal, best of all, it comes together in no time at all!
This creamy sauce proves that pumpkin can be used for more than pie! If you’ve got leftover puree in your freezer, this is the perfect way to enjoy it!
An Easy Pasta Sauce
The sauce is luscious and velvety and really easy to make (plus it’s a great way to use up pumpkin puree).
We love that this pasta sauce is a bit different from our usual cream or tomato-based pasta sauce recipe.
Ingredients and Variations
Onions can be slowly caramelized for extra flavor.
HERBS Pumpkin has a deep sweet and savory flavor on its own and sage and thyme pair well with it.
SAUCE A bit of broth (don’t use low sodium) adds salt and gives the right consistency to this pumpkin sauce while the cream adds richness.
A scoop of ricotta can be spooned on top for serving or stirred in for an extra level of richness. Top with shredded Parmesan, or toss with tangy feta or goat cheese.
Other Tasty Additions
- Even though this recipe is meat-free, it’s easy to add cooked ground pork sausage, top with sliced grilled or roasted chicken, or mix in some bacon bits.
- Need a dairy-free version or a vegan version? No problem! Simply substitute the cream with your favorite non-dairy alternative and use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.
How to Make Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
Here’s a quick overview of the steps to making creamy pumpkin pasta. For the full recipe, be sure to read to the bottom of the post.
- Cook onion & garlic. Stir in flour. Whisk in broth and cook until smooth.
- Stir in pumpkin puree and heavy cream and simmer.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta al dente. Drain, but reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Toss pasta with sauce, add pasta water to desired consistency. Top with shredded Parmesan and herbs.
How to Cook Perfect Pasta
These pasta tips work for any variety of pasta.
- Don’t overcrowd the pot, and use plenty of water (and stir often).
- Add salt to the water and add the pasta in the water once it reaches a rolling boil.
- Check for the desired doneness a little early, pasta will continue to cook as it is stirred with the hot sauce.
- Drain but do not rinse pasta, those starches help the sauce cling.
- Save some pasta water, it’s nice and starchy and will create the perfect consistency if your sauce needs thinning out.
Our Fave Pasta Dishes
Did you love this Creamy Pumpkin Pasta? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
This Creamy Pumpkin Pasta is delicious & flavorful, perfect for a hearty weeknight meal!
In a saucepan, cook onion, garlic, sage, thyme, and chili flakes in butter over medium heat until tender.
Add flour and cook 1-2 minutes. Stir in broth a little bit at a time until smooth. Simmer 1 minute.
Add pumpkin and heavy cream. Simmer uncovered until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta al dente in salted water according to package directions. Drain well, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
Toss pasta with sauce, adding reserved pasta water a little at a time if needed. Top with parmesan cheese and parsley.
Calories: 676, Carbohydrates: 101g, Protein: 19g, Fat: 22g, Saturated Fat: 13g, Cholesterol: 65mg, Sodium: 462mg, Potassium: 756mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 7g, Vitamin A: 9844IU, Vitamin C: 18mg, Calcium: 113mg, Iron: 3mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword best Pumpkin Pasta, how to make Pumpkin Pasta, Pumpkin Pasta, Pumpkin Pasta recipe