Homemade Tater Tots – Spend With Pennies
Make your own homemade tater tots and bake them crispy in the oven or the air fryer!
Forget the frozen variety, from scratch tater tots are a favorite and taste so much better. Make a double or triple batch of these little nuggets and freeze some for another day!
Our Fave Tater Tots
We love to make our own homemade tater tots!
- Uses real ingredients (things you likely have on hand and can prounounce).
- Easy to make, these come together in about 45 minutes.
- Can be baked in the oven or cooked in the air fryer (or even deep fried if you like)
- Can be made ahead of time, they freeze and reheat well.
Ingredients and Variations
POTATOES We use russets in this recipe because they are extra starchy and produce a fluffy interior. The potatoes are cooked and then grated (a little bit is mashed, this helps hold them together).
SEASONINGS Just a few seasonings like garlic powder and salt and pepper are mixed with potatoes, onions, and parmesan cheese, along with a parsley garnish make unforgettably savory tots!
ADDITIONS Add bacon bits, shredded cheddar, even our famous taco seasoning recipe can be added for a Tex-Mex tot.
Got Frozen Tots?
The recipe below is for homemade tater tots but if you’ve got frozen on hand, they can be cooked in the air fryer too.
Cook frozen tater tots in the air fryer at 400°F for 11-14 minutes shaking them after 6 minutes. Be sure not to overcrowd the air fryer or the tots won’t crisp up.
How to Make Tater Tots
Homemade tater tots are super easy to make.
- Boil quartered potatoes until they are tender, drain & cool.
- Mash half of one potato (two of the quarters) and shred the rest with a box grater.
- Combine mashed & shredded potatoes with remaining ingredients per recipe below & shape them into tater tots using a measuring spoon. Gently roll them in your hands to shape them.
- Place tots in the oven or preheated air fryer basket, cook according to the recipe until they’re browned.
- Spray with a little bit of oil or cooking spray before baking/air frying.
- Place tots evenly spaced in the air fryer so the air can circulate around them and crisp them properly.
- Keep cooked batches of tater tots warm in an oven at 250°F. Make them extra crunchy by putting them under the broiler for about 4 minutes.
- Save leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 3 days and reheat in the microwave, toaster oven, or under the broiler.
- Freeze cooked tater tots in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 1 month.
Did your family love these Air Fryer Tater Tots? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Homemade Tater Tots
Crispy & flavorful, these homemade Tater Tots are the perfect side dish or snack for a crowd!
Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook potatoes 10-12 minutes or until fork-tender.
Drain well and cool slightly.
Mash ½ of one potato (two of the quarters), using a box grater shred the remaining potatoes.
Combine shredded and mashed potatoes with remaining ingredients.
Using a tablespoon, measure heaping tablespoons and form into tots. Spray with cooking spray or brush with oil if desired.
Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
Place tots in a single layer in the air fryer and cook 7-9 minutes or until golden.
Repeat with remaining tots if needed. Serve warm with ketchup.
To deep fry, preheat oil to 375°F. Cook tots 3-5 minutes or until golden.
Calories: 171, Carbohydrates: 31g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 1mg, Sodium: 320mg, Potassium: 682mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 96IU, Vitamin C: 11mg, Calcium: 39mg, Iron: 2mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword Air Fryer Tater Tots, best Air Fryer Tater Tots, how to make Air Fryer Tater Tots, Tater Tots